Job’s Daughter’s Bethel No. 3 with adult leaders Gary and Heidi Quintrell
March is Youth Orders Month – a perfect opportunity to renew your lodge’s efforts to connect with Masonic youth in DeMolay, Job’s Daughters and Rainbow for Girls. Get started with 10 helpful tips:
- Show up: Being present at youth order meetings and events demonstrates that you are interested in and supportive of Masonic youth.
- Become an adult leader: Offer to help lead a youth order in your area to share your expertise and wisdom with the next generation of Masonic family members.
- Invite youth to lodge events: Invite Masonic youth to lodge events, such as stated meeting dinners, cookouts, and ice cream socials. This gives them a chance to connect with the lodge and members’ families in a relaxed, social environment.
- Involve youth in a philanthropic project: Whether your lodge is hosting a clothing drive, manning a booth at a community event, or volunteering at a local hospital, involve Masonic youth in your endeavor to build relationships and strengthen your impact.
- Start a local chapter, bethel, or assembly: If your area isn’t already served by a youth order, consider starting your own chapter, bethel, or assembly to help give local youth a chance to access Masonic fellowship and leadership development opportunities.
- Partner with another lodge: If you lodge doesn’t have the resources to support a youth order on its own, partner with another local lodge to combine resources and double your impact.
- Create scholarships for Masonic youth: Recognize Masonic youth for academic achievements or achievements within the youth orders with a scholarship that can be used to pay for higher education.
- Hold an essay contest: Ask youth to participate in an essay contest on a theme such as “How do Masonic values apply today” or “Why does civility matter?” Ask the top three winners to present their paper at the lodge.
- Invite youth on lodge outings: The next time your lodge plans to visit another local lodge or jurisdiction, invite Masonic youth and youth leaders to participate in your event to help bring the connections to another generation.
- Involve youth in outreach efforts: Masonic youth can offer special value to outreach visits. View a guide for involving Masonic youth in outreach.
Involving Masonic youth with your lodge can be a beneficial, fun, and reinvigorating for all groups involved. To learn more about how to get started, visit masons4youth.org.
All freemason.org articles may be repurposed by any Masonic publication with credit to the Grand Lodge of California. Print this article and post it at lodge; include it in your Trestleboard or website; email it to members; or use the buttons at the top of this page to share it on Facebook or Twitter.